VIRUS AND YOUR PC
Many people have no idea that they have a computer virus infection, until it is too late, and the damage is already done!
Several HUGE mistakes made by computer users include: having no antivirus software installed at all, having out of date antivirus software installed, or having antivirus software installed without proper education on detecting and preventing viruses!
Ladies and gentleman, the year is 2013, and more complex, socially engineered (“easy to fool you”) computer viruses are making their way from a hackers workstation, into your cherished home computer!
These new types of malware can be difficult to detect by even “high-grade” antivirus software, and when detected can be virtually impossible to remove; while wiping out your priceless music, pictures, videos and documents – instantly!
It is becoming increasingly more important, to learn how to identify a possible computer virus infection, before any major damage is done.
SYMPTOMS OF A VIRUS INFECTED COMPUTER:
- Antivirus software indicates that there is a virus infection on the computer (obvious isn’t it!)
- Constant pop-ups are appearing and/or browser re-directs (being unintentionally directed to other web sites than those that you selected)
- Documents and files disappear (deleted)
- DVD and CD-Rom drives open and close by themselves, or may not be detected in Windows
- Files and folders will not open at all
- Instead of logging into the desktop with icons after the Windows “splash screen”, the computer just shows a black screen and a cursor
- Low memory errors pop up even if there is no memory true memory problem
- People are receiving emails that you don’t recall sending
- Programs that are installed are instantly deleted
- Software, files, pictures, music, video etc; start to open/run without the user commanding those actions.
- Sounds may play randomly, from the computer speakers
- The computer restarts randomly and unexpectedly
- The computer will not boot into Windows even though no software was installed or updates were performed
- The computer’s starting or loading time to get into Windows takes excessively long.
- When new programs are installed, they either don’t work or have constant problems
- Windows does not startup, and a message is shown stating: “…system files are missing.”
- Windows Firewall or third party firewall software has been disabled
- Windows password(s) have been changed without the user(s) making the changes
- Windows Security Center has been disabled
- Windows task manager will not open
- Windows updates will not install successfully
- You are suddenly receiving more spam to your email inbox(s)
- You get random BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death)
- Your broadband modem is showing traffic activity, when you aren’t using the internet
- Your computer seems to “move” very slowly, and your task manager may indicate high CPU usage, even when you are running no programs at all (i.e. 100% CPU usage)
- A computer will not boot up after powering on (rare cases – “Boot virus”).
There are more symptoms associated with computer virus infections, but it is important to recognize important clues that could spell complete digital disaster! If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed and you aren’t sure if your computer is infected or not, always call a knowledgeable technician for assistance; it’s better safe than sorry!
Thanks for your time
Please make sure to add any reliable information in case there is something I skipped